Sunday, February 20, 2011

Hubert, The Sandwich.

(Reuben's first cousin).


I love sauerkraut.  I really love sauerkraut on a sandwich.  I would say that I love a reuben, but i've never had a real one.  I'm a recovering vegetarian, but I'm not advanced enough to eat a pile of corned beef...yet.  I've enjoyed countless meat-substitute reubens where I've added a tomato to give the sandwich an extra flavor/filling.  However, Hubert was born out of "what the hell do I have in my fridge that I can throw on a sandwich and grill?" and that just happened to include sauerkraut.

Ingredients
2 slices sourdough bread
1-2 slices sharp cheddar cheese
1 Tofurky Beer Brat , sliced into quadrants (or real beer brats)
1 tomato slice
1 onion slice
1/2 cup sauerkraut, drained
Mustard
Mayonaise mixed with olive tapenade

Directions
You know how to put together a sandwich!!  But we suggest this order:

Bread > Mustard > Brats > Kraut > Tomato > Onion > Cheese > Mayo-Tapenade > Bread

We used our cast iron panini press to grill the sandwich into ooey gooey perfection, and then dubbed thee Hubert.  Sauerkraut mixed with more classic sandwich accouterments turned out to be fantastic.  We used a really authentic, fresh sourdough bread that added to the deliciousness.      

Enjoy!!!  (and tell me about any of reuben's other family members that you may have eaten)






3 comments:

  1. where are the dill pickles and stone ground mustard (not yellow) on pumpernickel bread?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tofurkey Beer Brats are the shiznit!
    I hope the "recovering Vegetarian" remark doesn't signal the end of those veggie recipes.
    I'd be one sad old Hippie if that happened.

    ReplyDelete